Friday, January 7, 2011

memoirs of an old boy

That very day, I arrived early in the morning. The view of the school was rather breath-taking. A White House-like, kind of. Before that, I'm already thrilled with the fact that this letter came to my house




Astonished, delighted, confused, you name it. Every sorts of feeling bombarded me that particular moment when I read this letter. My father had already told me stories of this alma mater,from  its illustrious folklore to its progress in providing the nation with top-class leaders. Entering Koleq would be making me a new flip of generation in my family's book to do such. My father's uncle, Dr Jaafar Thani bin Jamaluddin, his cousin, Rashi Radha Aban Faisal, and my 2nd nephew, Ahmad Riduan Dahari previously graduated from here too. The level of enthusiasm within me also got an adrenaline boost to know that Mr. Alimuddin bin Mohd Dom (now Tan Sri), the principal back then, is a close companion to my father, having grew up together in the suburbs of Ayer Tawar, Perak. In a direct consequence, I accepted the offer, in which I must admit, unrefussable.

Thus, began it was, my life in a new school, far away from home. I was so tender, not to forget vulnerable back then, having no knowledge whatsoever of what survival is all about. I cried a lot the moment my father's car left me alone, homesickness does affected me, besides the fact of how hard it is for me to acclimatize. Then again, I was never really alone. Dorm E, Prep School. It was the dormitory in which I was destined to stay for the first year of my life in Koleq. There, I met new friends from all across the region. On the evening a strange bell-like sound woke us up from all the uncomfortable feelings of being in a new environment. It was made buy our seniors, 5 form five's and 2 form 4's, who were were assigned to be our custodian for the whole year. I was scared to look at their fierce appearances on that particular 1st day, only to know that they are quite friendly actually. I tried to mingle with my dormmates that day, just to get myself all cheered up. That night, I did not had the most relaxing of all sleeps. I layed on my bed, thinking,asking myself ...."man, how can I survive here for the next five years?? ".....

8 years had past since that day.  A wiser man? Guess I am, in regards to certain aspects. Most of the boys that came that day had already been in almost the same shoes as I am today. Studying  in every corner of the world,domestically and internationally. The more things change, the more things stays the same. In regards to how things developed since I made my first step to the gates of Koleq, I did it, yes..I did it. I survived to be there for the next 5 years with flying colours. Surviving with my parents are no longer there for me.  Beneath the surface of that fact, I tried to scutinize on how that half decade coloured my plain life. Being a Budak Koleq taughts you more than just books,numbers, and facts. Its about everything that chemicalised life. On my first year, it was an unconventional tradition that all form 1's must learn numerous songs, and one of it goes by the title "Corporate Song"

Tinggalkan ibu tinggalkan ayah
dan juga sanak saudara
kerana kolej kami turutkan
tanpa ragu dan bimbang
Dari utara hingga ke selatan
dari seluruh kawasan
kami berhimpun dalam satu badan
dengan satu tujuan
Belajar, dan segala
semuanya harus kami rasa
tiada kami pinta
namun kami terima
Ayuh semua kita bersama
satu hati sejiwa
bersama kita hadapi rintangan
demi masa hadapan
MELAYU, MELAYU, KAMI KOLEJ MELAYU..

It was melancholic, the melody that is. But the lyrics were all about appreciation, not just towards your loved ones, but towards yourselves. Many years had gone, but its rhythm has never failed to buzz in my brain every single day.

Unity, the fundamental to what being a Budak Koleq is all about. My friends and I were thoroughly taught on what it is all about during our Form 1's days. Being together in anytime, through thick or thin, no matter how insuperable the obstacles might be ahead of us. Respect towards one another. Not just towards the teachers or the seniors, but also towards the Mamak at the Shahreena Restaurant or the Mak Cik at the Square, where most of us would have a nice piece of roti canai & a cup of teh tarik almost every outtings on Saturday. Empathy amongst friends that made the bonds between us even closer than blood brothers. Every of this pivotal aspects were put to a heavy emphasis back then.



After finishing our SPM. The last time..


Personally, I cheerished every moment of my previous life. I remembered every Saturday, where Zai Am Studio would be fully occupied by me my friends who were living to jamm our hearts out.



a mini gig, I guess


The place was rather old and rusty. Nevertheless, its always a favourite hanging spot for us.  Not to forget the first time I even tried to wash my school uniform which resulted in disastrous results. Ragging, bullies, what do you expect from a boarding school? Pumping,half-way down, tar, common room., I had to endured all sorts of torturous stuffs that were inflicted to me and my batch members almost everyday in my junior's chapter. Primarily, I considered all of these are worthless,giving only bodily pain in return. Yet after leaving Koleq, I knew that all of those rampages were not even a quarter of how hard life could offer you outside. Thus, I came to realize that through all the hardships, we learnt what the world is all about.

Being a Budak Koleq is not about being macho, acting Playboy with all the girls we met,  or even to  brag with the fact of who we are. Its all about when "life" gets hard on us, and pushes us around, what would we do? My answer, we grab "life" by the throat. give it a piece of its own medicine, and tell it "GIVE ME WHAT I WANT!" That is what a True Blue Budak Koleq would do. Thats the element,plus all that we've learned,  that made us all elites compared to others, and I must say, we deserve to be proud of it, because we did not gain it through ease, but we went through hell to earn that God-given right. I do believe, that beneath those hallowed floors of the Prep School, to Big School's Graeco-Roman pillars, the spirit of wisdom lingers in every corner, exorcising the new generations to keep up on the schools prestigious traditions.




Its been 8 years my friends,my brothers. After our exodus back then, we are still standing together. Some of us may be even trying to build on their respective lifes again, that includes me I guess. It may take awhile, but do believe me brothers, that this world is ours to conquer. Its only a matter of time till we take our rightful place again. Till then, lets us forever stay in unity towards the end of time. Happy 8th anniversary to all my brothers from the class of 2007...may our brotherhood last forever....
















2 comments:

Unknown said...

rindu kat koleq!! happy anniversary 0307!!

Anonymous said...

hahahahha.. nice la alip... iluv u